Sunday, December 4, 2011

Weekend Happenings

G'day
I wanted to take the opportunity to write a quick note about the weather experienced Wednesday evening.  Yes, there was a pretty good blow in Marina Del Rey. I was surprised how little wind we had in Thousand  Oaks.  I heard that there were strong winds in Pasadena. My mother-in-law lives in Pasadena and the following day she called letting us know just how bad it was. Toby, Ben and myself went out to Grandma's to help put her yard and blown down fence panels back together. 


I was surprised at the extent of the damage, not only to her house but to many others in the area.  These are the photos I took. 








The tree that is blown down landed between the two houses.  This could have been a different story - someone was praying.


I was shocked  to learn that just a few miles away at the Henninger Flats a gust of 167mph was recorded!  Let's hope we don't get nailed by another blow like this for a long time.  




Another spontaneous paint job 


After Toby's gallant effort at Grandma's house, we only just made it back to Thousand Oaks in time for his uniform fitting for the all star soccer team and then straight out for a camping trip with the Boy Scouts in Ojai.  Rather them than me - it must  have been below freezing in Ojai as it was 37 here in Thousand Oaks. 


Toby's trip gave me the opportunity to bless him by painting out one of the rooms that was being used for storage, now Toby's new room . Why do these jobs always seem to take twice as long as the time I allocate for them?   Fortunately, we managed to keep my little helpers out of the paint tray this time. 


On top of this we had a little celebration as my beautiful daughter, Jessie, turned 13 yesterday. So after the painting and celebrating we had a little father and daughter time and I took her to see Hugo which was a treat for me as well as her.  






It would have been much easier to just have a nice evening in, but I'm glad that I made the time to take Jessie to the movies.  I realize that these children grow up very quickly and as a father it is important to come along side them, love them and speak into their lives so they can come to us as parents when times get a little tough having the confidence that we will listen to them and not be too busy.

Hugo was a great movie - one I would recommend and encourage folks to go and see.  Directed by Martin Scorsese, who did a great job of keeping this tale entertaining and engaging. This is based on the book The Invention Of Hugo Carbret by Brian Selznick which Jessie had recently read.  She thought that the book was as good as the movie.   The screen play written by John Logan was well done.



Now I will be heading out to San Fransisco to surprise a couple of friends from the Amazing Race who are putting together a party later tonight after the show airs at 8pm.  I would not ordinarily afford this luxury, but  I have a couple of business meetings in SF Monday.   This way I  get to surprise a couple of friends, have a good time and a do a little business. 


Now I know all of you will be a little surprised at tonight's outcome on the Amazing Race as this season draws to a conclusion.   Follow along on CBS at 8:00 pm.


The Amazing Race - It's Hard But Good!


Cheers,


Laurence

No comments:

Post a Comment